• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 24
  • Total: 24
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Photo of the day or edit of the day

Started by oRGie, March 24, 2009, 10:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damon

Orgie, Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

By the way,  Any free tickets ;)
Damon.

Jonathan

Ooo pulling people's pics to bits, err, I mean constructive criticism.  What fun!

Here goes.

oRGie: Do I think the high ISO noise suits the band?  No.  (You have to realise I have no idea who this is).  It just shows me it was pretty dark and you didn't have flash :)  First one is darkish on the face.  If only he'd looked up the light would have caught him nicely.  Second one is somewhat soft.  Third is quite nice.  I just wish there was some pattern or something in the b/g.  Is this a sound studio or are they doing chromakey?  Anyway, nice record of a dull day in a studio :)

Damon: really not sure.  Love the texture of the stone, LOVE the water, don't like the haloing and with another darker exposure you could have got some detail in the lamp heads.  Orange light under the bridge is a bit distracting.  Not sure about the wall at the bottom.  Twist the camera right through 10 degrees and I reckon you have better framing.

Would love to put up a snap I've been working on today but it's embargoed ATM.  So instead here's one from a little while ago.  Clients came round and paid me for it yesterday so it's been on my desk today.

Hmm - how do you do that cool thing where people can click to see it bigger?  - Ah sussed it.....
It's Guest's round

Damon

Blimey.. Like that, but then i am a bloke ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D
Damon.

Jonathan

Quote from: damondph on September 09, 2009, 07:42:53 PM

I hate to break this to you, but it's unlikely they would be interested in you ;)
It's Guest's round

anglefire

Quote from: Jonathan on September 09, 2009, 07:46:16 PM
Quote from: damondph on September 09, 2009, 07:42:53 PM

I hate to break this to you, but it's unlikely they would be interested in you ;)

I was going to say that the kiss looks a bit more passionate than the usual girlfriend peck!

Anyway, the pic.
I'm not sure I like the colour cast of the conversion. Its seems to be neither one thing or the other.
Exposure is spot on (As expected from a seasoned pro!)
Detail in the dresses is super.
The one girls arm lead your eye up into the two girls faces.

Being picky, is the wall edge vertical?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

hevans

Quote from: Jonathan on September 09, 2009, 07:37:44 PM

I think it needs more space at the bottom - not much, just 5-10 pixels or so to balance out the top and give the dress a bit more space.

The one with the back to the wall is too eager. The position of the outer bride is dominant, and it would have been a tad better to have the left one more submissive in pose. The dynamic isn't quite right.

Needs a bit more on the right, and a bit less on the left.

Love the texture in the wall and the leading lines of the ivy.

H.

irv_b

Quote from: Jonathan on September 09, 2009, 07:37:44 PM

Here's my tuppence worth
Initially I think that there is too much space above their heads ( it could be cut by half) and then I dont think the b & w does it justice presumably that is ivy on the wall which would have matched with the grass framing the shot more rather than distracting my eyes from the bride(s), also the flint in the wall would have given more warmth to a shot finally it looks to me more like a forced kiss rather than an quiet intimate moment in a hectic day
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Jonathan

Cheers guys.

Couple of remarks.....

Not sure about the toning myself.  I have a couple of different edits of this.  I made a rather nice fine art print of this on cotton rag and messed about getting some tones I liked.  This wasn't the final version for printing but that looks a bit stark so I posted the warmer one.

No the wall isn't straight.  It's part of a church that was deconsecrated in the late 14th century and hasn't been repointed in the last 600 years. It bulges a bit but I'm sure it's safe.

As for the framing......yeah I left space for a magazine masthead :)  Seriously, there's a chance this will be used for a mag cover and I have learned the hard way to leave copy lines.

And the posing?  Ah, I just left them to get on with it.........
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on September 09, 2009, 10:17:25 PM

And the posing?  Ah, I just left them to get on with it.........

And did they?  :-[  :2funny:

oRGie

Jonathon, I really cant fault your shot, superb in many ways, but the comments made are very interesting and thought provoking...

The band play grungy rock kind of stuff, the studio is owned by the local council and is part of the youth centre, so the rooms are set up for sound, but they also do video editing, classes and work for the council, hence the blue wall.. I could have or should have used flash for the band together, but the mic shot would have been tough with a straight on flash and no reflectors etc. The singer in the booth was behind glass so flash would have reflected, however I do wish he had looked up, I think your right that it would have made the shot much nicer, mind you with the strees they had thinking about recording if I had tapped on the glass and said look up I may not be here typing this now lol  :legit:    Thanks for taking time to crit  :beer:

oRGie

Took some shots of my trusty geeetaar today, she's a beauty, had her 24 years  :o  thought I'd bump the thread with 'em  :legit:

:beer:  think I'll go and make some noise  :beer:

picsfor

Quote from: jimthetrain on March 30, 2009, 07:42:09 PM
Lake Windermere as seen from Bowness. (clickable)

First off - great idea for a thread Orgie.
Next - Jim in your posting i didn't get to see the link until i clicked on reply with quote and then when i did finally copy the link to a new window it opened up an image of somewhere in Edinburgh.
Orgie - great wake up shots of sunrise. 'Lucky Sod' came to mind given the rain fall i've woken up to here for the last few days!
Oldboy - i frequently get up before dawn - but only cos i'm contractually required to do so - and when i do i spend my time avoiding the donations off the seagulls as i navigate to work. None of my avians look as cute as yours.

Now to plug my memory card into the compy to see what i've taken this week!
p.s. - great pictures

jimthetrain

I did some clearing out in my gallery a while ago and must have deleted that pic.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

CML-1591

Heres some from a while back

Check it out and tell me what you think: www.craig-l.blogspot.com
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Alfonso_Frisk

Is this the bird who dumped you then ?
looks a bit like AdeW (sp)
whatever became of him and his tales from the store room?
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.