• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 45
  • Total: 45
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: Beryl on December 08, 2016, 06:36:15 PM
What bemused me today was the Co op bank sending me an E-mail asking me to retrieve my account , Which they had locked for security reasons 

I'm certainly not stupid  and I don't have an account with them.

I had to clear my cookies and history after as I had clicked on the link to see what they wanted me to do   

they asked for my sort code  account number or credit card number. Ha ha ha

Quote from: StephenBatey on December 08, 2016, 07:05:03 PM
Be careful about clicking on links contained in spurious emails. I never do, but the reason for suggesting caution is that my anti-virus program gave me a pop up warning this week about an html file in an email that had just come in. I regularly see the signs of removed zip files in emails, but this is the first in a while that was html related.

Never click or open an email that you don't recognize or know who it's from. Click or opening any email could run code which you don't see running but could load all sorts of nasties on your computer. I just click the report spam button and then delete it from my mail.  8)

Beryl

Yes you are right.
At first thought it was to do with my  loyalty card and was gong to ask them why, until I clicked on  "Click here to retrieve account" I cleared all the cookies and history.
My son is an IT consultant he told me about the codes when you click on a link and gathering info.
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

StephenBatey

It's more than just cookies that's the issue. If you click on a link and open a page in a web browser, unless it's a very basic text only site, you're going to be executing html code on your computer. Html code, just like any other, can load a virus. Some browsers block sites known to be infected; some "big names" have been hacked and infected in the past. I never click on a link in an email unless I'm certain that I not only know the person it purports to come from, but am sure that they would send such an email as well. I often get emails supposedly from people I know which consist of a simple message like "Hi Stephen, you might be interested in this link". I know the people well enough to know that they would never send such an email, and it gets deleted.

I've used a basic Windows 3.1 email program for years (since I had to switch from a better OS/2 one when OS/2 was discontinued). It fails to respond to html code and shows everything text only, which is safe. The downside is that some people send htlm mail, so I get "From" appearing as ?utf-8?B?QnJpZ2h0b24gJiBIb3ZlIENpdHkgQ291bmNpbA==?= with a subject of ?utf-8?B?QnVzIHBhc3MgcmVuZXdhbCBhcHBsaWNhdGlvbiA=?= (actual example, using copy and paste of From and Subject of an email from Brighton Council about my bus pass renewal). This obscurity is a price worth paying for me, knowing that plain text doesn't actually result in anything being executed.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Beryl

Yes. You are right. My son explained it all to me. I didn't know about the links and the things that can happen when you click on them. Luckily I don't do any online banking and keep all my passes  else where. It's amazing what hackers can do.
This page just asked for you sort code account number or a credit card number. Bit of a give away.
My niece's mum fell for it and was taken for £550.
My eldest son is a policeman. The first time I had a scam was a phone call telling me I had a virus. I said "|No I haven't" my so said "Now you have just told him you have a computer" :uglystupid2:
You have to be so careful.
Thanks for the advice Stephen and Oldboy :)
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Hinfrance

Been out this morning braving the crowds of bovine eyed Christmas shoppers. Normally I go into town early to catch the shops when they open, surgical strike, but Mrs H wanted to come with me today and getting a woman to move her *rse is a struggle at the best of times; first thing on a Saturday morning is not the best of times. So we were late, and hit the immutable mass of wandering vacuity and dull wit that characterises this time of year especially. Aargh!

And none of the shops had any ducks.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 17, 2016, 01:02:10 PM

And none of the shops had any ducks.

Take some bread to the local pond and you should find plenty!  :P

chris2pher

My very first dslr (canon 700d) that I've had a month fell off my tripod onto hard floor. Most of it works apart from in manual and press the shutter and the mirror goes up, but it doesn't fall until I press the shutter again. Majorly pissed off. Will this be expensive to fix?

anglefire

I'm saying this here and not in either the annoyed or happy threads, because I don't know how I feel.

I've actually received the money for my Discovery that I technically sold at the end of January - but had to fix a couple of things before it went - one was a split (at the join) exhaust which took about 1/2 hour to sort and no cost - the other a self inflicted mistake that cost the thick end of £500 :(

Came to to the transfer online tonight - and the service is only available 7am to 7pm  :(

So I am annoyed I can't actually do the "paperwork" and happy that it is sold to someone that will use it properly and bemused that I don't know if I'm happy or sad.

It's the longest I've owned a car, except for a Rover P6 3500S, but that only did about 2000miles in 20years. I've done some 174000 in the 7 years I've owned the Disco - and driven all bar about 4or5k of them - the rest being a mate of mine on off road trips.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

The universe was created by a quantum fluctuation of the vacuum according to the scientists, also called a false vacuum which could collapse at any moment. Is this pixelated building precede the collapse of the vacuum?  :o

Hinfrance

When I woke up this morning my allegedly 'radio controlled' alarm clock displayed 14:43, 24th March. Presumably it must have been hacked by the Russians, as they are responsible for everything that goes wrong with computery things.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 07, 2017, 08:50:02 AM
When I woke up this morning my allegedly 'radio controlled' alarm clock displayed 14:43, 24th March. Presumably it must have been hacked by the Russians, as they are responsible for everything that goes wrong with computery things.

How do you know a computer is at fault?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

You mean you think it might have been THEM interfering with the radio signal from Germany? Mmm, better reinforce the tinfoil hat.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Or it could be correct, and you haven't realised you've lost all sense of time.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Simple

I do not know how old your clock is, but the millennium bug might have finally arrived.

Oldboy

Quote from: Simple on June 09, 2017, 09:22:09 AM
I do not know how old your clock is, but the millennium bug might have finally arrived.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.