• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 59
  • Total: 59
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Portraiture. What's Your Take?

Started by ABERS, October 21, 2014, 08:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Spotted this this morning. Some quite strong portraits of some well known and not so well known faces. Is it easier to set up such pictures in a studio or does the off the cuff candid version
float your boat?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29657598

Studio portraiture, where you have complete control of things, lighting pose etc. is a very precise art, whereas the candid shot, for me, is usually the result of watching the subject for a while and waiting for 'the moment', no control and perhaps a slice of luck. However over the years whilst 'people watching' I've noticed that they seem to repeat their actions and facial expressions on a regular basis. That's when you press the shutter!

I'm reminded of a carp lake that I fish. In high Summer the big fish patrol the fringes of the lake on a regular time basis, passing by about every 15 minutes. Once you know that, if you miss them on one pass, you'll have another opportunity in 15 minutes time.

As far as judges are concerned there are few thousand things to get right with a studio shot, and if the picture he/she is judging meets them all he/she will make one up on the spur of the moment. :doh:

DigiDiva

Studio photography is so out of my reach that it really appeals. I can't afford to hire a studio or pay for a session with a pro. Only tried twice. 1st time, I was scared s*itless, with my little Canon 1000D. Everyone had much better cameras, with camera grips and talked about aperture and f stops and I didn't really know what they meant. I didn't have a clue what to do, was too scared to ask and used the portrait setting.

The second time was for my Photography GCSE and everything was set up for us.

I like candid, but the controlled environment in a studio is my preferred choice, looking at these images. Its a differnet art form to candid, for me anyway.

Thanks for sharing Abers.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Sandy

I think that I lean more towards the candid, just because I do not interact well with the model in a studio situation. The camera club does have a portrait session once a month with lights. That is why I'm into sports at the moment because you get great people images when things work. Thanks for the tip about waiting in one spot and waiting for the moment. I did go to Sheffield Park on Sunday and took colours but I was also trying to catch candid images for a club competition. The only trouble was I got some interesting people but they did not have them doing anything so I need more practice. 

Hinfrance

Candid portrait photography has been effectively illegal in France since 2004. So I have no choice but to take what few portraits I do in a formal setting. I prefer to use natural or just one strobe, both because it's easier and I like the results.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Quote from: Hinfrance on October 23, 2014, 08:25:44 AM
Candid portrait photography has been effectively illegal in France since 2004. So I have no choice but to take what few portraits I do in a formal setting. I prefer to use natural or just one strobe, both because it's easier and I like the results.

A club friend visits some mates in Paris fairly regularly and comes back with some quite stunning 'candids'. I must tell him!

Hinfrance

Quote from: ABERS on October 23, 2014, 02:38:11 PM
Quote from: Hinfrance on October 23, 2014, 08:25:44 AM

A club friend visits some mates in Paris fairly regularly and comes back with some quite stunning 'candids'. I must tell him!

Don't spoil it for them Abers. The law is question is Droit à l'Image:

"Le droit à l'image des personnes, est acquis par toute personne sur sa propre image. Ce droit permet avant tout à celui dont l'image est utilisée de refuser ou autoriser sa diffusion"

Effectively, you can take any pictures you want as long as you never show them to anyone else, without the specific written permission of the subject. Actionable only in France, and only by the offencerati, as most people are more than happy to have their picture taken. However, as I live here and the fines are horrific, I just don't even think about candid street portraits any more. Cartier-Bresson will be spinning in his grave.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.